General Assistance is a County funded program that can help people with emergency financial needs.
How is eligibility for assistance determined?
If you reside in Boone County the first step is to complete a General Assistance application, provide the requested information. The General Assistance worker will review your application and if you meet the eligibility criteria, you will meet with the GA worker to help you determine your needs.
To file an application you can come into the office at 900 W. 3rd Boone Ia., or you can call 515-433-0593 or 1-800-652-9516.
What services are available?
- Emergency food assistance
- Referrals will be made to the food pantry, SHARE program, as well as having the clients fill out a food stamp application.
- Benefit limits are the reasonable rental value not to exceed $400.00.
- Deposits will not be paid for rent, gas, water or electricity.
- Assistance with utility costs shall be provided only in the amount of the actual cost for current usage, which allows continuance of service and not service provided for prior months. Assistance under this category does not include deposits, taxes or penalties. The amount shall not exceed current month.
- Heat, lights and water are the only utilities that will be considered.
- Utilities must be in the name of the applicant or another member of the household. If the expense of utilities is eing shared with a non-applicant, the payment is prorated.
- Medical Services
- Assistance will be given for prescriptions, and also for some medical needs that require no prescription, such as insulin and needles.
- Dental assistance for immediate need and to relieve severe pain.
- Hospital Services – County GA does not fund hospital services within the County. The Boone County Hospital has their own indigent care program.
- Payment for burial expense is limited to a maximum of $1500.00 plus the cost of opening and closing the grave not to exceed $350.00. Social Security Death Benefits shall be deducted from this amount. Any insurance, assets, resources or family contributions must be applied to burial expenses before General Assistance payment will be made.
- Cost of cremation shall not exceed $750.00
- The General Assistance payment must represent payment in full.